Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Simple Woman's Daybook 100208

The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...Thursday, October 2nd, 2008

Outside my Window...holly berries turning russet on their way to red. Also, a wonderful, large, garden spider has taken up residence on our porch! Fortunately the web is both out of the way of the usual foot traffic and in a good location to catch many mosquitoes and moths plaguing us.

Towards a daily rhythm...Woke up, fell out of bed, dragged a comb across my head... I am coming back to my daily maintenance routines.

I am thinking...of friends who are getting married this weekend, and who we might see while we are at the weekend-long event. That will be a happy and relaxed occasion. I am also thinking of my friend who lost her baby a couple weeks ago... a couple days before her due date. That's some sadness lurking around the edges. I also need to call my mother and wish her a happy birthday.

I am thankful for...the warmth and connectedness with my husband. Recent dreams tapped into the emotional drama of weather and life chaos, and heightened my appreciation for his presence. I enjoyed seeing him in the middle of the day for our OB appointment. I'm also thankful that I have the appetite to eat a variety of foods these days. I am thankful I can feel the baby move, even if it is a little disconcerting to feel those unfamiliar sensations.

From the kitchen...Frozen waffles are my new favorite thing to eat. While I'm in the freezer, I also love fresh, natural ice cream tasting of vanilla and cream. But I did have some wonderful "Gypsy Soup" with tomatoes, chickpeas, zucchini and peppers.

In the garden... The lantana is starting to slow down from its annual conquest of the front garden. The rosemary and lavender are happy in this cooler weather - even a few blooms. The mint grew so wild and lavishly that it dried up and died off... leaving room for new growth to start pushing forward already.
mint - second wind
The tomatoes are still growing, but I have fallen behind in keeping up with them! I have more than I know what to do with, both of the plum tomatoes and the heirloom golden ones. Also on the vegetable front, the sweet heirloom pimento peppers are finally starting to turn red! I was worried that the season would turn cold before they matured. The basil is still chugging along.
HC Basil Waves

I am wearing...yet another maternity outfit with a stretchy loose leggings and a tailored over-top. I am also wearing some of my sleek leather shoes--my feet are not (yet) too swollen to enjoy them.

I am reading...Philip Roth's American Pastoral and enjoying it surprisingly well. Some of this descriptions and phrasings leave me gaping with admiration and laughing with delight. The story started slowly, but then with a few twists, it suddenly has much more meaning and weight than I had anticipated.
Earlier, I read Mind the Gap, a modern fantasy about the alternate life under London.

I am creating...more space in the house and more space for the things that matter in my life. Tonight is movie and popcorn night!

I am hoping...I can keep moving forward on all my plans. I am hoping that the childbirth instructor we want to work with emails me back! I am hoping that we can keep finances on an even keel with all the sorts of life changes and big projects going on. I am hoping that our country gets back on track.

I am hearing...the soft snoring of my cats napping in the office, and my fingers tapping on the keyboard.

I am going to breathe deeply...and try to let go of my frustration with less-experienced people who I'm not positioned to advise.

Around the house...Slowly decluttering and putting things away from last weekend's messy camping. I've been working away on the oily floor and on the pile of dishes. I'm pleased to be making progress.

Bring beauty to my home...I'm working on this new bed quilt at least once a week.

One of my favorite things... I love how the seasons shift. Fall is coming on and leaves start falling, the light starts shifting, the air dries out and becomes crisper, the sky becomes bluer. I'm savoring the cool bite of evenings recently. Then coming inside feels actually cozy rather than a respite from the earlier heat.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...recharging all of my rechargeable batteries to be ready for all kinds of wedding fun. Yay! Wedding fun! I'd also like to start making batches of pesto to freeze and eat fresh. I usually have until mid-November before I have to worry about a freeze.

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Spider on Reflection
---

No comments: