Saturday, October 18, 2008

SWDB 101808

A Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today... October 18, 2008

Outside my Window...It's been sunny, then gray, and cloudy.

Towards a daily rhythm...getting enough sleep. Getting enough water.

I am thinking...of how to respond to a friend who declares that women shouldn't have children after the age of 38 (because of the risk of Down's).

I am thankful for...my husband, my husband, my husband! And a number of thoughtful and cheerful friends. :) Also, the group of women who are happy to pass on baby-related advice as needed, and other friends who trust me with their sensitive and possibly painful stories.

From the kitchen...My mother recently made me a huge batch of "black-eyed pea potpourri" which includes lots of vegetables. I have not been able to restrain myself from eating this at least a couple times a day because it is so good, very nourishing. In addition to the black-eyed peas, it features tomatoes, celery and carrots and various herbs.

I am wearing...The most comfy jeans (with a wide waistband, natch), a rose-purple-y turtleneck (large, natch), and a long, plum-colored sweater-jacket I bought years ago at an outdoor market in Italy. And my vintage-style gold dangly earrings. Somewhat mismatched but cozy!

I am reading...The Monsters of Templeton by Lauren Groff, a story peopled by Willie Upton, returning to her "perfect" small-town in hidden disgrace, trying to find the mystery of her own father (her hippie-turned-religious mother tells her it's someone locally related, not the one-of-three in her SF free-love days as previously told), delving through generations of ambitions and madness, framed by local characters who know her past but not her future, and a mysterious and compelling "monster" pulled out of Lake Glimmerglass. Whew! Is that all one sentence? It's a mystery of a story. Oh yes, and a free-spirit friend who's dying on the other side of the country. A search for self that's both both archeological and picturesque.

ALSO, just finished reading Cool In Tucson, a murder mystery by Elizabeth Gunn, alternating viewpoints between the man who committed the murder, the lead investigator tracking down the case (who happens to be a woman), and a few other people of import to the story. The plot is wonderfully entangled, but plausibly so, with the myriad motives and obligations of family, departmental, and business relationships adding rich complexity. The tension as the investigators close in on the information they need to understand the situation is like watching the pieces come together from multiple directions on a jig-saw puzzle. Wow! Such a great read that I finished it in one day! I'll have to find more of her work.

I am creating...space, and more space.

I am hoping...that all my weird belly feelings are nothing more than slow digestion and insufficient hydration.

I am hearing...birds calling. A blue jay has been lecturing all the others in the front yard for hours.

I am going to breathe deeply...and get a little more space under my ribs.

Around the house...I'm gathering clothing and other items to take to the thrift store. I'm looking forward to clearing more space.

Bring beauty to my home...earrings hanging in rows, like little jewels.

One of my favorite things...chili-chocolate and quirky compositions with color and light and unusual combinations/perspectives.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...Bring in the rest of the garden produce before temperatures prematurely dip near freezing this week. Write lesson plans and programs. Possibly repaint the cabinet if I can work in time and space. Make a prioritized list of those house jobs. Decide where to meet my friend for lunch!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Truffle Favors
---

No comments: