Saturday, November 1, 2008

SWDB Meets NaBloPoMo

It's the first day of November, the first day of NaBloPoMo, and therefor the first post of 30! On with the show!


The Simple Woman's Daybook

For Today...Saturday, November 1st

Outside my Window...the last of the heirloom sweet peppers are slowly ripening.

Towards a daily rhythm...washing dishes on a regular basis. Funny how something so simple can be so satisfying. Cleaning, stacking, putting away in their correct spot, admiring the clean space, ready for the next project!

I am thinking...lots of philosophical thoughts that I will hopefully turn into NaBloPoMo posts!

I am thankful for...yet again, my husband, for giving me new perspectives on anything and everything. I am thankful my physical state is not yet too uncomfortable, and that everything appears good. I am thankful for Fall sunny skies.

From the kitchen...I recently made a real vegetable stir-fry, the first time I've found myself able to actually cook in months! I was ready for it, and excited about eating better food again. Or rather, better food that I had cooked, rather than bought.

Veggies on Rice

I also made a huge double batch of chocolate-chip pumpkin muffins, which seemed to make considerably more than the recipe indicated. I found myself dragging out extra tins and pans to accommodate all of the batter. My excuse was a Halloween party for my students. Unfortunately, fewer than half the students showed up that night, so I had a lot left over, which we've been doing our best to eat and distribute. I froze a few and gave away a few, ate a lot! Mr. Sweetie has been eating them for breakfast. Now the supply is petering out, but that's good. After all, how many of these can we eat in one week? Wait, we don't really need to answer that!

Pumpkin Muffin 2

I am wearing...Currently layers of Tshirt and a sweatshirt covered in lighthouses of the US, and thermal leggings. Planning to get dressed soon! Yesterday, I was wearing those wonderful brown yoga pants with a stretchy purple top, some of my favorite maternity wear.

I am reading...An impressive essay ("The Curtain Falls" seen in the Independent Weekly) by Hal Crowther, a progressive cultural/political/opinion writer in NC.

He *notices* things, and writes about them well. He often ties together seemingly disparate elements into a larger cultural narrative. He can turn outrage into art. This last one was one of his spectacular ones, musing over the rise and fall of John Edwards, and the Greek tragedy of it all, the typical, "hypocritical discrepancy between private and public morality," the role that hubris often plays in national politics, the personality-centered focus in American politics and where it's lead us. Needless to say, he writes about it better than I've inadequately summarized it here, and in his finely tuned writing style.

This article is not online (yet), but more of his writing can be found here:

I am creating...yet another dance program, this one for a large crowd of students from a small college, most of whom have never contra danced before. I enjoy finding the ways to get non-dancers up and having fun. The college age kids always have more energy than they know what to do with, so I can't let that faze me. I look for ways to channel that energy into actual dancing. I teach a lot more than usual between dances, and build skills from the ground up, giving them both structure and flexibility. I encourage them to try everything yet be okay with making mistakes as they learn, an important attitude on both sides!

I am hoping...that I won't get sick with a cold after all. *crossing fingers*

I am hearing...the gentle hum of the furnace trying to keep up with the chill air.

I am going to breathe deeply...and try to not worry too much about the election. Especially since I don't have the energy to volunteer much this year.

Around the house...I've been scanning some old photographs from my college days. It's so funny to see these again and marvel at how *young* we were. Even funnier to see people's reactions when I post them on Flickr. Yeah, that was *half* my life ago! Things might have changed just a little.

Bring beauty to my home...stopping to admire the purple salvia that I put in the front garden this Summer. Beautiful color in the sunlight.

One of my favorite things...washing up mixing and prep bowls and utensils as I use them, taking those 3-5 minutes between tasks to keep ahead of the game.

A Few Plans For The Rest Of The Week...Getting ready for the next calling gig after this one, preparing myself for the onslaught/culmination of the political season, finishing up some library books, revamping renovation plans, finding things to write about for the *rest* of the NaBloPoMo month!

Here is a picture thought I am sharing with you...

Autumn Purple Salvia
---

No comments: