Thursday, November 12, 2009

Despite the Driving Rain

It's been raining for about three days straight now. The first day, I didn't have anywhere to go, so we stayed in and stayed cozy. The next day, though, I was scheduled to meet one of my friends for lunch. She called me that morning and asked it I wanted to reschedule because "the rain was really coming down." It's true that I don't often take the baby out in wet weather, and it's windy too. I considered, and looked at the radar, but it was still a good day to meet her, so we braved the rain. I thought I might as well try out some of my transporting-baby-in-downpour strategies before an occasion in which I absolutely had to. And so off we went to eat some delicious Persian soup, thick with noodles beans, and savory herbs, perfect for the wet weather.

Then today, I went over to my mother's house some quilting and visiting. This is a regular occasion for us, so I wasn't motivated to put it off. I did think the rain had tapered off, but as soon as I started driving, I discovered I had been mistaken! Thus ensued more shuffling of baby and gear and umbrella.

It would have been easy enough to put off my events, but why? It started me thinking about how sometimes one prefers to persevere to do the thing you'd like to do regardless of the conditions. A little discomfort or inconvenience doesn't necessarily get in the way of having a good time.

And it also gets me thinking that sometimes a little challenge can make the enjoyment that much sweeter. Why should we even expect that everything be comfortable? Granted, there are some types of discomfort I find more discouraging than others. We are still wearing fleece jackets to help keep us cozy. But still, a little challenge can hearten us for a larger effort. Hah! We did it! We went out despite the spitting, driving, chilling rain. And we liked it!
--

No comments: